Fiber Materials

RelevanciaCalificaciónFecha
Mostrando las 24 evaluaciones

Poor management

Evaluación destacada de Indeed

La evaluación más útil según Indeed
Management is two faced and say whatever they have to to get people in the door and once you’re in they will go back on their word and fabricate a reason as to why. When i was hired they told me I would be all set to take time off for my wedding and honeymoon knowing I wouldn’t have the PTO accrued in time, a week before my honeymoon that all changed and they said I would be accruing occurrences and possibly written up. Job security is there but if you want to advance to another department good luck, you’ll become a broken record advocating for yourself. The repetitive motion of certain jobs causes discomfort but don’t waste your time saying anything cause they don’t care. They only care about the products you make and how fast you can make them. If you have issues they will tell you to find a different job rather than trying to solve the problem. Family life doesn’t matter, the only thing that matters to them is their products. Insurance is a joke, you’re better of just not getting their plan and just go with the discount most doctor will give uninsured people. This is by far hands down the worst company I’ve ever worked for and I left corrections for this place.

Pros

Weekends off

¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Wants to be what it's not.

Upper management gives little to no support for lower management. This place feels like it wants to be some clandestine government op but isn't. If you want your whole day controlled down to the minute then go for it. If you want to feel trusted, skip it.

Pros

Shift options

Contras

Management intentionally shows its distrust of employees

The work can be easy

The work can be easy if you’re okay with pretty much standing in one area for an extended period of time. The work for the pay isn’t the greatest, the benefits cover less than not having insurance did for my doctors visits. I got covid while working there, food poisoning, etc. I got told that I must be pregnant because of how badly the food poisoning effected me, I got told that I must have contracted covid a second time because of how badly the food poisoning effected me. Neither were true. I did everything by the book and precisely to not get covid, no one else that I was around had it. And the workplace decided that I must have contracted outside of work even though I was there five days a week. I was out of work more often than I was in because of how many almost cases there was, but because they decided mine didn’t start within the workplace my two weeks were not paid, and I hadn’t been there long enough to have PTO to cover it. This is a poor excuse of a system, and put me in a financial bind.

Pros

Three breaks, paid training

Contras

Lack of responsibility from the company
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

They run people out the door without notice or reason

Company spends a lot of time and effort recruiting new employees but fires existing ones at the drop of a hat. I was warned about this multiple times by others and saw it first hand. No warnings just termination! My advice would be to run (fast) away from this company. I haven’t work for a company in my career that was so backwards. The management could not run a one man parade! I hope they become union and get the union they deserve!

Pros

There are none

Contras

This place is a snake pit

Great work place

Professional and safe work place. 4 on 4 off work days means lots of time off or overtime, your choice. Generous 20 percent shift differential. Awesome co-workers.

Pros

Safety culture

Contras

Chemical processes with extreme conditions.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Califica una empresa en la que trabajaste recientemente

Comparte tu experiencia para ayudar a otros

Expanding and Growing

The organization is currently undergoing expansion of their facilities. This will create more jobs for the local community. For the most part the top management is friendly and cares about their employees. Unfortunately there are a couple of managers who do not care about their employees, and only provide lip service when saying they care. Some of these managers only see you as a number and replaceable.

Love it

FMI is an amazing place to work and the negative reviews on here are most likely people who are no longer at FMI for performance or safety issues. We've been through some changes and have more coming but absolutely an awesome place to work, whether you are an engineer, a machine operator, or an office employee. 50 years in business, ask anyone who works here, they'll tell you they love it

HR is a joke.

Management is not employee friendly. HR is a joke. Never out on the production floor to talk with employees. They fire you at the drop of the hat. Not progressive disciplinary program. They are hurting for help due to their management style and they don’t rehire someone who left on good terms. NOT a good place to work.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Growing and striving for continuous improvement

I enjoy working at a technology driven company that provides solutions for amazing and challenging applications: supporting our countrie's defense, producing components used in space exploration, and providing products supporting the aerospace, semiconductor, and racing industries, among others. It also has the benefit of being in Maine which brings many positive elements (people, outdoor activities, food, etc). As with all companies, there are areas in which to improve. There is an ongoing effort to make the company a better place for the team and a stronger supplier to our customers. Input is frequently sought from the employees. This can be for significant issues/concerns or for small incremental improvements in an area. There has been significant growth the past few years and the future looks very promising. I am looking forward to it growing and the opportunities that come with it.

Pros

Value and impact of the products; interesting and challenging work

Contras

Pace in which change is adopted
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

A fresh perspective of a striving company

I have recently started with FMI. I have been fortunate to start building connections with fellow teammates relatively quick. I see a mix of opinions about the company. The perspectives come from top to bottom, newly hired to seasoned members. My take away from it all is that the company has a strong foundation with an inaccurate reputation. That being said there are opportunities (which are currently being acted upon) to improve the work environment and grow successfully. It takes collective effort up and down the chain to improve culture and efficiency. I see and actively participate in the drive to improve all aspects of the work environment. The important thing to take away is change is always happening, management does attempt to make good "value add" decisions but not everything can be instantaneous and it requires time and patience. The components we manufacture have significant value to our country through aerospace, automotive and commercial space industries. The work is personally rewarding. That alone is a driving factor that makes me feel like I have an impact. Every person plays a valuable role.

Pros

Benefits, dynamic work environment, American mfg company, entry level positions are starting to see benefits and pay increase!

Contras

Attitudes of team members needs to improve, not enough team building events outside of the company, points system
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

New and like what is going on

It's great to be part of a company that is important to our national defense & NASA. Plus it's made in the USA! Very high level of job security working with government agencies. Much more work life balance than manufacturing companies that compete commercially. New ownership & CEO listen to employees and are investing into people and process for the long run. Lot's of opportunity to make a difference and be part of an American manufacturers growth.

Pros

Made in USA, supports US defense and NASA, opportunity to make a difference

Contras

Many people don't know FMI exists or what we do

Great co-workers lousy management

Not a good place to work if you’re looking for advancement they have the wrong people doing certain jobs. Management is a joke and the head of HR is useless

Pros

Work with great co-workers

Low pay
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Harsh stressful environment and bad management!

Main room they hire for is stressful they push production hard and bypass everything else. It’s all about the numbers! The people you work with are really 2faced-talking sweetly to your face then from another person you’re hearing that they said nasty stuff about you and told a bunch of coworkers. Lots of rumors going all around. Also HR seems to have lots of problems (HR workers wearing see through clothing or low cut shirts) seems innappropriate and they don’t seem to know what they are talking about about the job. Lastly the management is all over the place! One boss tells you this, another tells you the opposite. And there’s a assistant in the room that seems like the head boss, but I was told she is not. It was hard to tell who to go to for management when I had problems.

Pros

Some friendly coworkers, benefits

Contras

Hard environment, hard to work with coworkers, appropriate attire and no clear management

Work is varied

Daily activities can be as varied as you want. Keeping busy is not hard at all. Management is a bit in flux and has been for several years. Company wants to expand quickly but does not have the manpower to handle the load.

Pros

varied job tasks

Contras

always in a hurry and no real cohesive planning
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Productive and fun with everyone chit chatting throughout the day

Everyone is assigned to their destinated working station and paring up with either an old partner or a new one depending on management and we would start on our part whether it's a new part and having to start from scratch or finishing up the already woven product. At certain morning the room will be filled with coworkers talking to their partner or to the entire department floor about their weekend and other mornings we would work semi-quietly. The hardest part of the job is waiting on to top managers to come to our department and removing the product from the working station so we can place a new part to start weaving the new materials. We know they are very busy so we moved on to a newer working station. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting and socializing with my coworkers. They are funny and insightful with whatever topic we were discussing for that day.

Pros

Everyone bring in food to share during certain lunch breaks.

Contras

Division from one department to the next.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Excessive workload with understaffed departments

Seems like company is more interested in hiring administrative/sales personnel rather than maintenance or production personnel, where the work is accomplished. For example, HR dept. has more personnel than maintenance has mechanics. Training program is non-existent.

Pros

Set work hours

Contras

workload is reactive rather than proactive...PM program is a mess.

worst job ever

the first day I meet my supervisor, I had been working for about two weeks. He came in told me he had less than 2 years left there to leave him the F alone. there were a lot of drugs and drinking on the job. some of the people took it upon themselves to be self appointed leaders. the were down right cruel. locking you out of machinery you were trying to work on. or making it hard to get tools and material to do your job.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

They only care about the bottom line

It's supposed to be one company with two locations, but employees are not treated the same at both sites. Site two is so toxic they can't keep staff. Human resources is a joke. No fault point system for attendance. Doctors notes don't matter, accidents don't matter. You get a point and it doesn't roll of until a year later. 9 points you get suspended three days no pay and termination at ten points. Company is a joke.

Pros

Decent health benefits

Contras

Unequal treatment of employees regardless of years of service.

Space Program

The work at FMI was rewarding although the time it was family owned and the management was steady and we were working on Space programs was absolutely great the time was exciting and people were excited unfortunately the owner of the company passed away and the company was sold to and IPO that came in and basically demolished the company and the most senior and knowledgeable management left the company at which time created a very stressful environment for everyone. I chose to leave on my terms and I am very grateful for the opportunities I was given.

Pros

Working on Space Programs

Contras

The Company change when purchased by new company
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Busy day in the work place

Customer interaction is a big part of the day. Paperwork attention to detail is key. I enjoyed my time at Fiber Materials Inc. and being part of the Sales team.

Pros

Customer interaction

Drama

Last Resort

Only accept a job at FMI as a last resort. The company is trying to make improvements and improve their image but they have a long way to go and it's going to be a bumpy road. Job security is OK depending on your position and potential for advancement is limited. Pay/benefits is average at best unless you are leadership. Management is all over the place and everyone is off doing their own thing. Horrible communication. They claim safety and culture are important...until they try and push everything ahead with limited staff to support production. You have been warned.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

¿Quieres saber más sobre trabajar en esta empresa?

Haz una pregunta sobre cómo es trabajar o entrevistarse en Fiber Materials. Nuestra comunidad de usuarios te ayudará con tus dudas.Haz una pregunta

Puntuación general

2,6 de 5 estrellas en Cultura laboral
  • Empresas
  • Fiber Materials
  • Evaluaciones de empleados
Dinos cómo podemos mejorar esta página
¿Qué agregarías o cambiarías?