Norfolk Naval Shipyard

RelevanciaCalificaciónFecha
Mostrando las 252 evaluaciones

General Engineer

Evaluación destacada de Indeed

La evaluación más útil según Indeed
Good first job to gain experiences. Not a good place for long term growth as there are not many promotion opportunities.Most of design is being done by contractors. Engineera usually oversee contract or learn to perform maintenance.

Pros

Good benefits

Slow pace work environment

A job that gets you by

Not a great job for someone who wants to be a engineer. Mostly project management type of work in the branch I work in. Pay is decent for the work you do though.

it's okay

Typical day of work is an eight-hour days sometimes you can get 7 twelve hour shifts for overtime. or you can get compensation time for any overtime you do to get extra leave for your hard work.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Great place to start a career

Depending on the position you hold, it can be fun and exciting or confusing and unrewarding because upper management doesn't have a strong grip on real issues or workforce.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Do not come here with the expectations for anything positive just going to frustrate you and kill your morale

Only possible way to move up the company ladder is having family, friends, or a tightly knit group, to help you in any form of fashion what you know and years of training count for nothing it’s all about who you know and not about what you know. If your not breed from their apprenticeship program and come from a private yard your going to get overlooked each and every way, lastly upper management can do nothing for you

Pros

A lot of down time don’t have to work or work hard

Contras

Nepotism nobody cares about hard workers or people who genuinely care about their job
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Califica una empresa en la que trabajaste recientemente

Comparte tu experiencia para ayudar a otros

Good if you're flexible and ready to roll with the punches.

Engineering codes can have specific development timelines, so every job can be a bit of a different journey. I like my coworkers, my managers have never been anything other than supportive and I learn something new every day.

Pros

Good coworkers, great benefits, PTO. On the job training.

Contras

Low pay on the GS scale for an engineer, lots of paperwork that's sometimes pointless.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Productive and exciting place to work. The work can be repetitive, but on different ships/submarines, so there are some variances.

I loved working at NNSY, and mentoring those in the apprenticeship programswho were new to the industry. Ensuring that ships and submarines are built and repaired safely so that sailors and marines make it home safely should be a prime motivating factor to working here.

Pros

Job security and great compensation pay!

Contras

None, if you stay focused and dedicated to what you are doing, and WHY you are doing it.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Professionalism, dedicated work ethic, safety first environment, equal opportunity for advancement.

Report for work, check on orders for parts/materials to see if they have arrived in a timely manner, set up PC and order of paperwork for the business day, morning muster with section supervisor, meeting with engineers, other shop/section managers/upper management about parts/materials/work packages (overhaul/repair/rip out paperwork/documentation), ship and receive parts/materials within US NAVY/NAVSEA installations and shipyards both nuclear/non nuclear. All to effectively meet the deadline for the project's availability completion date.

Pros

Government job with benefits, welfare of personnel and their dependents, and morale for all involved.

Contras

Will hire the inexperienced sometimes before the experienced just to fill a billet, discriminates with age when it comes to experienced applicants.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Hard work doesn’t always pay off

Good workers get over looked and over worked while the people who screw up advance fairly fast. Micromanagement and favoritism is very high if you’re not in the clique you’re invisible.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

No stress reasonable time for job completion

Enjoyed my time working at the shipyard. Supervision was ok, working hours were good , overtime was always there if you wanted , advancement was not easy all advancements had to be written up in a resume for wg11, or higher rank. Enjoyed working with personal there.

Pros

Working hours were good, overtime was always available. No stress, jobs were given plenty time

Traffic was always bad parking was bad when there was more than 2 carriers
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Fascinating work destroyed by government bureaucracy

Now granted, I am a new employee and thus all my time has been spent in training. That said, the work culture there is terrible. You are essentially encouraged to do the bare minimum and that's accepted. If you have a reasonable work ethic and have at least some appreciation for quality work, you will 100% succeed here.

Pros

Pay, benefits, job security

Work atmosphere, government bureaucracy

Deadlines

Deadlines are critical regardless of employee safety. Great place to work if your looking for great benefits. Pay is okay but deductions are a real killer of your paycheck.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Great job stability and guaranteed pay to support a family. Infrastructure needs updated badly. Safe work environment. Overall great people to work with

Pros

Job stability, good people

Expect you to work 24/7 even if you have plans
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Stability get stuck in a field you might not have chosen

I have to say it was the best job I ever had, able to raise a family and count on a better than average paycheck, able to take time off to be there when family needed me

Pros

Stability

Contras

Not the most exciting place
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

A solid place to work. Good work life balance

A good solid place to work. Extremely stable job. The industry is full of peaks and valleys. Sometimes you are extremely busy sometimes work is very slow. It is what you make it. The red tape makes accomplishing work frustrating.

Pros

Stabe, benefits, work life balance, time off

Contras

Red tape, can be confined to cubicle alot of the day, policies

Used to Work at NNSY

I used to work at the Shipyard in Portsmouth VA so i thought i would be able to give a good Review i was there over 9 years and i will say the work is Challenging and Demanding, The Management is Questionable you get some good and some bad and Advancement is also Questionable, All the time i was there i stayed at what i stated at just the Steps changed. But as i said some good and some bad

Pros

Pay is good

Management, Health, Long hours, Parking
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Good job security but not much else

Constantly performing work outside of area of responsibility. Projects are understaffed. Training is geared towards fostering work place culture rather than preparing you for your actual job.

Engineering Technician

As an engineering technician the work is fast paced and the required hours are long. Knowing that it is in support of the war fighters helps to make the job feel more worthy. My work life balance is poor at best, but the job affords my family many things, so its a trade off. NNSY is not too bad to work at, the benefits are excellent. However, you better be prepared to give them most of your life, because weekends, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries etc... will no longer matter. I hope your spouse is understanding.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Horrible work life balance

Exploit the System and Move Along

I've been apprenticing here for a few years now.. I feel no more capable at my job than I was during my first month.First off, the training program is poorly executed. The classes teaching your trade are few and far between. When you do finally get them, they cram the basic AND advanced knowledge into you so fast that you won't retain any of the information within the short few months the classes last.You quickly realize book smarts are useless..So you aced all your crammed in courses? Cool, here's your work area where the work has nothing to do with the pen and paper tests you took. You know the glossary terms and equations BUT a crane/ship/etc isn't made of terms and equations. They're made of components and parts. You're a glorified janitor.All your seasoned work members and supervisors view you as part of the cleanup crew. Get used to sweeping, wiping and fetching tools. It's all your qualified to do honestly. But hey, at least you aced those vocab tests, right!?Want my advice?Get in, Get paid and Use the massive amounts of spare time you have to setup whatever Plan B you can think of.. This program does not prepare you for anything except a higher position you can't possibly justify having.

Pros

Spare time on the job, Good pay with raises, Fun experiences

Poor management, Poor training, Truckloads of Drama

Tons of opportunity

Tons of opportunity for advancement if you do what you're supposed to do and don't take things too personal, if at all. Get in all the training you can. Stay away from the drama, gossip, and tactics of dark forces that will try to target you through control, manipulation, and dominance. Just focus on making it a better place with the overall mission in mind, being grateful, and showing your worth and you will get far. There are bad people who work here, just like anywhere else but do not be alarmed. There are really good people who work there also and if you're one of us, you will be led accordingly as long as you seek us.
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

Can make a lot of money working overtime. Good benefits. Other than that you could work somewhere else to do all of that

Good ‘ol boy system. Management scared to take up for their workers. Mess up, move up. They put the wrong people in leadership positions. No growth within the shop that I worked for. People who’ve never done the work I did were put into high management positions to oversee my specific job. Think they can treat you like you beneath them because it’s the Navy but I won’t for none of that. Supervisors look out for who they want to look out for. Never seen a person work a day while I was there but somehow they make supervisor. The list goes on

Pros

Overtime is always available

Everything else
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta evaluación?

¿Quieres saber más sobre trabajar en esta empresa?

Haz una pregunta sobre cómo es trabajar o entrevistarse en Norfolk Naval Shipyard. Nuestra comunidad de usuarios te ayudará con tus dudas.Haz una pregunta

Puntuación general

3,7 de 5 estrellas en Cultura laboral
  • Empresas
  • Norfolk Naval Shipyard
  • Evaluaciones de empleados
Dinos cómo podemos mejorar esta página
¿Qué agregarías o cambiarías?